Information about – How it works and how much it costs.
Welcome to GenderGP
GenderGP is an online health and wellbeing service, which provides advice and support to members of the trans community, and those who care for them.
Our vision is to provide low-cost, timely, accessible private healthcare – for everyone – wherever they are, whoever they are and however old they are. We do this by using telemedicine to enable people to access our services from the comfort and safety of their own home.
The service has grown organically over the last few years into an international organisation that helps people from all over the world.
As well as our work supporting the health and wellbeing needs of the trans community, we are dedicated to improving access to healthcare through our advocacy and campaigning work.
The GenderGP Appraisal Pathway
This is a pathway designed by GenderGP which allows you to be in charge of your gender journey.
We believe that you are the expert in your gender, and by offering our expertise in healthcare, we can make sure that your medical transition is suited to what you need and is delivered in the safest way possible.
By going through this process you will be able to provide us with information about you and your health and your gender feelings. This will allow us to come to a joint agreement on the best treatment for you.
If you are in the UK or the EU, we can use our private prescription service. If you are outside the EU then we will carry out any necessary assessments and then issue you with a Treatment Summary for your provider so they can do blood testing and prescribe under our direct supervision.
We will make all the decisions on medication and blood results to keep you safe.
Working with the NHS
We are very happy to work with the NHS in any way we can. Sometimes GP surgeries are very happy to help you while you are under our care, and sometimes they are not. It is a bit of a postcode lottery sadly.
The GMC, BMA and CQC all have very clear guidance that says that trans people should not be discriminated against if they access private care. For more information, click here.
There are six charges associated with using GenderGP’s medical services – but not all of them apply to everyone.
- Set-up fee
- Blood tests
All patients pay a one-off set up fee of £195 which enables them to subscribe as a member of our service.
This allows unlimited access to medical advice, blood test result analysis and private prescriptions according to need.
For as long as you or your doctor needs support and advice from us, your subscription allows you to access our services.
At GenderGP we are always looking for ways to help make private healthcare more affordable and accessible, while you wait for public health services. In response to your suggestions, we have introduced a split payment plan, allowing you to pay your set-up fee in instalments.
When you use our self-service Appraisal Pathway form, you can choose to pay the fee in one go, or by instalments. You can complete the medical, psychological and personal questionnaires, arrange any necessary blood tests, and have your Information Gathering Session while the instalments are being settled. As soon as full payment has been received, your case will be put forward to the medical team for Final Review. Once this stage is complete, you can start your medical transition.
All of our patients become members of GenderGP and this allows them to have unlimited access to advice and private prescriptions as required. If your GP won’t prescribe for you then you will have to purchase the actual medication that is prescribed. The subscription fee is £30 and is taken every 4 weeks.
Some consultations are optional but useful, and some are compulsory.
Discovery sessions (optional) are an opportunity to speak to someone during enrollment (or at any stage) on the GenderGP Appraisal Pathway. Time to ask all the questions you would like, and to work out a plan for you.
Information Gathering Sessions (compulsory) give us a chance to get to know you and to work out how best to help. It is your chance to tell us how you feel and what you want to achieve. If you have a recent report from another specialist then you can use this here.
Counselling (optional) is a way for you to really dig deep and talk to one of our specialist gender counsellors about what you are going through.
Family / Friends Sessions (optional) are specifically designed to support those around you, to help empower them to give you the support you need. They are also helpful when someone close to you just doesn’t understand it the way you do.
Follow-up Sessions are arranged every six months to see how you are doing. You can have these more frequently if you wish. They are charged at £50 per session.
- Information Gathering Session (compulsory unless you already have an assessment report from somewhere else) – £65.00
- Discovery Session (optional but very popular) – £60.00
- Counselling (optional) – £50.00
- Family / Friends chance to ask their questions (optional) – £60.00
Blood tests are an essential part of your treatment – to make sure you are fit and healthy and that hormones will be safe for you.
There are three ways that we can get your blood tests done:
- Your doctor – if your doctor will do the blood tests for you on the NHS or your public health system, you can provide us with a copy of the results.
- Private service – if your doctor can’t do them for you then a local private hospital may be able to help.
- Home Testing Kit – we can arrange for you to have a home testing kit sent to you. This can either be done using a finger prick test or by a phlebotomist near you.
The minimum tests you need to ask for are as follows:
- Full blood count
- Hormones (if you are already on hormone treatment)
It helps if your doctor will prescribe for you under our supervision. We send them a treatment summary advising them exactly what to do.
If that is not possible then we can issue a private prescription and you can purchase your medication privately.
- Your doctor – your doctor prescribes under our supervision.
- Online pharmacy – we have partnered with Clear Chemist. We send them a private prescription and you purchase your medication from them.
- Paper Prescription – if you are outside the UK or would prefer to have a paper prescription to take to your pharmacy, this can be arranged. You can take this to the pharmacy of your choice and purchase the medication from them. Not all pharmacies are willing to accept private paper prescriptions, so it is best to check first.
Estimated Private Medication Costs:
- Hormones – from around £10 per month depending on what you need.
- Anti-androgens – around £10 per month.
- Puberty blocking injections – around £100 per month.
- Puberty blocking nasal spray – around £60 per month.
Some medicines are given by injection – such as some Testosterone preparations and puberty blockers.
There are alternatives, but if you want to have injections we need to know who is going to help you inject them.
- Your doctor – your doctor’s surgery will help you with the injection.
- Private service – you will make arrangements for a local private service to inject them for you.
- Self-inject – if you have been taught how to inject your medicine then this is an option.
- Family / friends – If you know someone who is qualified to do this that is fine.
Most letters and reports are included with your GenderGP subscription. However, some services such as referrals for surgery incur an additional fee.