We have recently been overwhelmed by testimonials from service users, members of the community, and their families. One thing that stands out time and time again is the need for healthcare professionals and politicians to listen young trans people and their families. Trans youth care has become dangerously inaccessible, and it’s more important than ever to reach out and share our stories.
We’ve provided a template letter below to empower the parents and loved ones of trans young people to reach out and ask for change.
Dear Doctor / Pharmacist / Policy-Maker,
I am the parent of a trans child. My child’s gender is different to the gender they were assumed to be at birth, based on their physical appearance. This means that to force them to behave in a way which conforms to the expected societal norms causes them untold distress and pain.
All I want is for my son/daughter to have a happy care-free childhood, free from discrimination and fear. All I ask is for their basic human rights to be respected, as you would for your child, or the child of someone you loved.
In order for us to achieve this, it is essential that preconceived ideas or prejudices are put aside.
- Here are just some of the voices of those who have been given essential support:
- The difference in my daughter is amazing. She goes to school, she sees friends again, she spends time with the family instead of shutting herself away. She is looking forward to the future again and is smiling!
- I spoke to someone who for the first time actually understood what I was feeling, and why I was feeling this. I felt heard and seen for the first time in my life.
- I finally felt listened to and cared for, and like I wasn’t fighting a system rigged against me, as a transgender teenager.
- It is probably the most difficult thing I’ve had to go through as a parent and that we have had to go through as a family – this is not a choice!
- My son is happy, not withdrawn, or underperforming in school due to absences. Everyone deserves the hope that they can live a happy life!
- My child has gone from repeated suicide and self harm attempts to nothing in the time he has been on testosterone. We feel like we have our old child back and we can all see a future for him.
Please listen to our voices and consider the impact which you have on the lives of young trans people when you refuse not only to help, but even to listen.
Together we can provide a better future for all young people regardless of gender identity.
Your name here
Please copy this letter and send it, whether it’s to your doctor, your pharmacist, or your MP. If you have an experience you’d like to share you can reach out to us via our secure contact form or find us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.