A CALL TO ACTION: CLICK HERE TO SIGN OUR PETITION TO SUPPORT TRANS HEALTHCARE
Recent events have highlighted how precarious the provision of healthcare is for trans people in the UK. We have been inundated with messages of support from current and previous patients as well as cis allies asking for ways they can help.
Over the years we have received many heart-breaking accounts of failure by the NHS to provide adequate and timely transition related healthcare. We collated many of these messages here. People have understandably turned to private healthcare providers, like GenderGP, to access the urgent healthcare they require. Our goal at GenderGP has always been to render ourselves obsolete. This is why we have been advocating for the NHS to provide urgent transition specific healthcare for the ever-increasing number of trans people.
WAITING LISTS FOR NHS GENDER IDENTITY CLINICS IN THE UK HAVE NOW REACHED CRISIS POINT – URGENT ACTION IS NEEDED – THAT’S WHY WE’RE ASKING EVERYONE TO SUPPORT TRANS HEALTHCARE.
Two years ago we launched our campaign calling for better transgender healthcare in the UK. We asked everyone to sign our petition requesting for URGENT help in tackling the broken healthcare system for transgender people. This letter was to be delivered to key politicians, NHS policy makers and healthcare oversight bodies, asking them to take urgent action to address critical issues faced by the trans and non binary community in accessing timely transition healthcare. We had been unable to present this letter due to the UK General Election, ever-changing Parliamentary politicians, Brexit and Covid.
THE DIRE SITUATION OF TRANS HEALTHCARE IN THE UK HAS NOT IMPROVED OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS – IN FACT IT HAS GOT WORSE!
We are now calling on all trans and non binary people in the UK, their families, allies, friends, colleagues, doctors, teachers, neighbours… – in fact anyone who believes that transgender people should have timely access to appropriate healthcare – to SIGN OUR LETTER HERE TODAY! Please note: You can sign the letter anonymously, if you don’t want your name made public.
Once we have collected signatures, we will be delivering the letter to key individuals responsible for the prioritisation, oversight and delivery of transgender healthcare within the UK.
In addition to signing our change.org letter, we would encourage people to contact their MP and ask them to help in calling for action to be taken to improve healthcare services for trans people. You can find your MP here and you can use the words from our letter which we’ve edited for personal use, here (don’t forget to personalise your letter to reflect your own experiences).
TOGETHER WE CAN IMPROVE HEALTHCARE SERVICES FOR TRANSGENDER PEOPLE – LET’S MAKE CHANGE HAPPEN!
- NHS waiting times for gender diverse patients of all ages to be urgently reviewed.
- Clear options on interim solutions to be made available to people while waiting for their NHS appointment.
- Assessment and treatment pathways to be modernised.
- Alternate healthcare solutions to be recognised.
- Clear information on how best to support gender-diverse patients in a primary care setting to be cascaded to those working in primary and secondary care.
- Clear guidelines so that GPs feel empowered to offer support, including bridging prescriptions and shared care agreements, where requested.
- Private care to be made available without retribution or consequences to the patient (as laid out in the NHS constitution).
To find out more about GenderGP or get in touch with us, contact us here.